The SubbaRow Club
The SubbaRow Club is a group of admirers of Dr Yellapragada SubbaRow who are contributing time and talent to follow up the National Committee for Dr Yellapragada SubbaRow Centenary Celebrations (1965). The National Committee secured wide recognition in India of the contributions made by the great biochemist and medical scientist. Part of the residual funds collected for the centenary celebrations were transferred by the National Committee to Indian National Science Academy INSA for instituting a triennial memorial lecture. The National Committee was also instrumental in getting the government to issue a centenary stamp in honour of Dr. Y. SubbaRow. As mandated by the National Committee, Mr. Gupta, its Secretary, acted as catalyst to get ad hoc local committees in Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai, Hyderabad, Bangalore and Visakhapatnam to hold memorial meetings and mount photo exhibitions with source materials left with him.
The SubbaRow Club organizes seminars, memorial meetings and photo exhibitions. It created and maintained the website www.ysubbarow.com renamed www.ysubbarow.info and has now created the sub site DOCTOR YELLAPRAGADA SUBBAROW ARCHIVES ONLINE to house the scientist’s personal and scientific papers. Its work is subsidized by the residual funds of the Dr SubbaRow Memorial Symposium (1994), the precursor to the National Committee.
Prof K Kannan is its Patron, Prof Suman Kapur the honorary president and the current members are Veenu Aiswarya, Pankaj Maheshwari, Rashmi Ranjan, Rakesh Kumar Singh, Dinesh C Sharma, Asha Ramachandran, Dr N Raghuram and Prof P C Sharma. Dr SubbaRow’s biographer, S P K Gupta, is its convener.
Members of the SubbaRow Club
- Dr K Kannan is a distinguished biotechnologist. He is currently the Vice Chancellor of the Nagaland University, Kohima.
- Professor Suman Kapur is currently Professor, Biological Sciences Group at Birla Institute of Technology and Science, Pilani. She has specialised in research into genetic markers for vulnerability to chronic human diseases and psychiatric disorders.
- Asha Ramachandran is a senior journalist who brought out Down to Earth from July 2001 to May 2003 as the science and environment magazine's Coordinator. As a Fellow of LEAD the international network of professionals offering leadership in environment and sustainable development, Asha has worked in Brazil, Malawi and Russia besides Kerala, Lakshadweep and Haryana in India. She is currently a senior editor at MINT newspaper.
- Dinesh C Sharma is an award-winning columnist on science, health and information technology related policy issues. He is a regular contributor to The Lancet (UK), Bangkok Post (Thailand) and Your Health (Dubai), as well as Indian publications, including the Hindustan Times. His articles syndicated by News.com network appear in web editions of the New York Times, Business Week and other publications in the US and the UK. The European School of Oncology, Milan, awarded him a special prize for coverage of cancer in Indian media in 2003. He is currently the science editor of MAIL TODAY of Delhi.
- Dr. N Raghuram, Reader, School of Biotechnology, is a member of the Society of Biological Chemists (SBC, India), Society for Experimental Biology (SEB), UK, Federation of European Societies for Plant Physiology (FESPP), EU, American Society for Plant Biology (ASPB), USA. His field of interest are Signal transduction and gene regulation in plant primary metabolism, Science dissemination and policy research.
- S P K Gupta has for over five decades now worked for spreading awareness of the life and the great services of Dr Yellapragada SubbaRow to humanity by collecting details of his life and work, writing and publishing his biography (In Quest of Panacea), and coordinating his Birth Centenary celebrations and their follow-up. Care Evelyn Publishers.
- Professor P C Sharma, who launched the website www.ysubbarow.com, is on the faculty of the School of Biotechnology, GGS Indra Prastha University, Delhi.
- Web designing is a passion of Veenu Aiswarya, who holds the master's degree in biotechnology of New Delhi's Indraprastha University. Veenu created the basic contours of this web site as a labour of love.
- Pankaj Maheshwari is a freelancer working with magazines and designing houses in Delhi. He gave a bright new look to the web site.
- Rashmi Ranjan is Head, Business Department, Cranberry Communications, which designed the sub site DOCTOR YELLAPRAGADA SUBBAROW ARCHIVES ONLINE with inputs by S P K Gupta.
- Rakesh Kumar Singh is the head of the Cranberry Communications group that actually designed the sub site and populated its links with great dedication.
Membership is open to all who can contribute time, talent and funds to promote wider awareness of the life and work of Dr SubbaRow.